Friday, January 14, 2011

Homemade yumminess - Quaker's got nothing on these!

I might be a tad bit biased though : /

Some of you may have seen this recipe on my personal blog, but I wanted to make sure that I posted it on here too.

Here's the scoop (originally posted Nov2010):


Homemade Granola Bars 
I made 3 different types, some with raisins, some with peanut butter and chocolate chips, and some with slivered almonds. Here's the basic recipe for all three:


Dry Ingredients:

2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt

Liquids:

1/2 cup honey
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 veggie oil
2 tsp vanilla extract





Preheat oven to 350* and generously grease a 9 x 13 pan
Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Create a well in the  middle, and add the wet ingredients. Mix well with hands and then pat evenly into the greased pan.

Options:

I made 3 types of bars all in the same pan at one time. I used 1/2 cup chocolate and peanut butter chips for 1/3 of the pan, 1/2 cup raisins for the second 1/3 of the pan, and just under a 1/2 cup slivered almonds for the last 1/3. I spread them on top of the bar mixture, and so far it looks pretty good!

If you want all one flavor (and mixed in) simply use 3/4 cup of raisins/chips/almonds and mix in before spreading into pan.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the bars begin to turn golden brown on the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut while still warm. DO NOT wait until fully cooled, or they will be too hard to cut.

Makes 24 bars =)

Calories for how I made them:

Chocolate and peanut butter chip bars = 142 c each
Raisin bars = 128 c each
almond bars = 137 c each

1 comment:

  1. Finally made them tonight, they're amazing! I can't wait to make more and try new toppings.

    ReplyDelete