Saturday, July 9, 2011

Allow Me This Moment and This Soap-Box

I've never in my life been staunchly one way or another. I don't consider myself a Democrat or a Republican; I think both sides are extraordinarily biast, obnoxious, and closed-minded. I've never been staunchly for going green, because I understand that we are a technological work in progress and in order to move forward in the world we are going to have to adapt. I do understand progress people, I promise you that. So I've gone my whole life (a whopping 26 years at this point) walking the middle road and trying embody the words "tolerance" and "acceptance" while still holding tightly to my roots and "traditional" American living.

Today I finally got the chance to go through my main email inbox, where I discovered a very simple message: Check this out. I click on the link, and an article about Senate Bill 510 is staring me in the face.

*Before you think that I'm spreading political propaganda in any direction, please understand that I am in the process of reading the actual text and not just taking into account an opinionated piece; no matter how much my heart screams in agreement*

The article is simply titled "Top 10 Lies About Senate Bill 510". It lists 10 very provocative points that are addressed in S.B.510. I'll be perfectly honest, if even half of them are true I want to live on a farm in the middle of backwoods nowhere, grow my own food, live off the grid, and not owe anyone anything. I absolutely hate the idea that big government has their input in to what goes into my body. I am already leary of vaccines (a personal feeling of mine that I'm sure I'll share or may have already shared), pharmaceuticals, and other unnatural things that we subject our bodies to.

I'm not perfect, I take nutrition supplements, use chemically based shampoo (on occasion - I still owe you all a review on Squid Balm), drink a glass of milk while I'm enjoying my Skinny Cow chocolate candy things,  and when I get a wild hair I might use a temporary dye on my hair. I'm only human right? But after reading this article and starting to read the actual bill text (ok, guilty, I'm skimming over here... but in my defense it IS 248 pages :/) I'm absolutely appalled at the idea of having my food choices limited. People can choose to kill themselves with chemically modified junk food, but I can't choose to feed my family organic unaltered produce? I think not!!

I encourage anyone who is interested in natural living, natural non-modified foods, and plain simple living; go read this article, and go read the actual bill. Love it or hate it, its your right as an American to know what laws will be directly affecting your life, and have your voice heard no matter if you're for or against this bill. Be informed, be involved. Its the fastest way to irritate Washington. They'll be hearing from me in about..... 150 pages. Oi.


Link to Natural Living's Article "Top 10 Lies About Senate Bill 510"
Link to Open Congress' actual bill text "Senate Bill 510"

No comments:

Post a Comment