Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Another cheap/quick/easy household cleaner

I'm a tad bit ashamed to admit this, but for all of my nitpickyness (yes thats now a word) over my house being clean, my bathrooms are both sub-par. With a husband and son who regularly enjoy being dirty and greasy, its no surprise that my bathtub had that lovely black ring inside of it. What is surprising is that I let it be for this long.

We've had a stressful few days in our family (ok its been a stressful year so far, all 12 days of it), and I needed to burn off some stress and aggression so I decided to tackle the hall bathroom. We have one of those all in one bathtub and shower surrounds that scratches if you use the wrong bodywash or heaven forbid a scrub brush, so I googled a homemade bathtub cleaner. Wouldn't you know, the first website that comes up is one that I frequent quite often: The Family Homestead. They have a "recipe" for a homemade cleaner that uses baking soda and Dawn dishsoap. I realize that Dawn is no where near chemical free, but I think its a fair assumption that its relatively gentle considering its popular use on sea animals during oil spill clean ups, and its also recommended as a gentle flea shampoo for your household pets.

I mixed an unmeasured amount of baking soda and Dawn, just enough to make a decently thick paste. I applied it with an old work out towel turned rag, and the next thing you know that ring began its decent into nothingness. I am going to repeat the process in a day or two (I still have bread to bake, the next month's menu to plan, and a grocery list to write among other things), but it was a remarkable difference with relatively little effort. If you're interested here's the link to their site. They have lots of fabulous tips and tricks for living a healthy lifestyle on a budget, so its definitely worth some of your spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment