Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Urine + Upholstery - Steam Cleaner = Trouble

So, we still don't have a steam cleaner and for our family that is a big issue. I've been very fortunate to have friends who are generous and have let us borrow theirs in the past; but for right now we are wholly without. Hopefully we will remedy that after we get our tax refund, but thats for another post, probably in another blog.
Anyway, we have a micro-fiber "pseudo-suede" living room set. A couch, love seat, and over stuffed chair. We also have a dog, a cat, a toddler boy, and an infant girl. Thats a dangerous combination as any parent can attest to.
Our toddler boy is also potty training, which adds another layer of frustration. Apparently my over stuffed pseudo-suede chair is great for marking his territory! Now, these are your average "Craigslist special" pieces of furniture. I sure did not spend thousands of dollars on them. But as a mom, wife, heck average human; I do not appreciate the smell of urine in any form. I have to get that smell out before it drives me any more crazy than I already am!
According to a Google search that I did this morning, removal is simple! (insert loud cheer here!) Blot up the urine with paper towels (if its dry, spray it with water and then blot). While still damp, sprinkle baking soda on the area, use a brush to restore the nap of the fabric if necessary, and then vacuum once its dry. The baking soda is supposed to trap the smell and the salt left behind by the urine, which then disappears once you vacuum.
I've done the re-wetting, the blotting, and the spreading of the baking soda. I will let you know once its dry and I put my vacuum to work. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

2 comments:

  1. Did it work??? I did this when Harley had an oops and my steam cleaner wasn't home and it worked like a charm for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I think it would have had it been a little bit of urine. As it is, its a Craigslist special chair (meaning well used) and he seems to enjoy soaking it. The baking soda definitely took some of the odor away, but there's still a good bit. I think I need new furniture :/

    ReplyDelete