Thursday, January 6, 2011

"Gone Rogue"

This blog is inspired by a post I made on my personal page, entitled "Gone Rogue". We're jumping ship and slowly but surely going all natural, all the time. We've made little changes so far; my daughter is breast fed and cloth diapered. My son (age 2) is also in cloth diapers at night while we focus on potty training during the day. I no longer use harsh cleansers in our home. A friend of mine gave me a recipe for an all purpose cleaner that uses only water, vinegar, a pump of antibacterial soap, and tea tree oil. I use it on every surface from counter top to carpets. My house may not be laboratory sanitary, but it looks, feels, and smells clean to me and thats what matters.
We've cleaned out our pantry, and there are no more boxed meals loaded with preservatives and all other things that no one but Webster can pronounce. We make our own bread, we're growing our own vegetables this year (last year's garden was more of an expensive experiment), and I will be learning how to make my own pasta.
My goal by the end of 2011 is to be *almost* self sufficient. I say almost because I don't think I'm quite ready to grind my own flour, but that also may change by years end. I also have the idea that the more that I can produce here at home, the less I'll spend at the grocery stores, and the more money I'll have to use on truly organic products (meats, cheeses, and produce that I don't have the patience or room to grow successfully here).
This isn't a passing fad, this is a lifestyle change. Here goes nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment