Tuesday, January 18, 2011

La Cucaracha

And no, I don't mean the old Mexican folk song. I'm talking about the creepy crawly, nasty critters that can survive a nuclear holocaust. I'm sure you all know that there are many species of cockroaches, ranging from small and flighty to giant, hissing, and ferocious looking. Personally, I'm more familiar with the small Asian variety; the ones that are prevalent when your home is less than sanitary. No matter what, I always assume that my house is disgustingly dirty when ever a roach crosses my path. Regardless of the species, I detest them all, and still have a phobia of squishing them. Last night, Liam was kind enough to crush one to death with his toy hammer, lol.

Now, most of you who know me well, know that I'm not a fan of pesticides. I refuse to use them in my garden (bugs are part of nature, like it or not), and I don't want them in my home around my kids and pets. We have an all natural bug spray for ants and roaches that is plant based, but I admit that it has a funky smell. Its not chemical-y like Raid or similiar; more like walking into an herbalist's shop where all of the scents fuse together.
 I use that to spray all of our  heating vents (they are open to the crawl space where I have no doubt that a roach kingdom resides) and also the space between the lower kitchen cabinets and the sub floor (there's a huge gap). That should keep new roaches from invading my space, but what to do about the ones that are already here? Simple really. Baking soda and sugar. Mix a bit together in a shallow container (I use peanut butter jar lids) and place in a dark corner near where you see roaches the most. They'll be attracted to the sugar, and will eat it mixed with the baking soda. They'll eventually drink water which will activate the baking soda, creates a lethal (to them) gas, and they implode =D
Here's an article to show you that I'm not the only crazy person who thinks this works rather well. Link

No comments:

Post a Comment