Friday, January 7, 2011

A Natural "Draino"

This might be old news to some, but it was new to me! I came across TipNut while doing a Google search for a homemade drain cleaner/unclogger. TipNut had a "recipe" for one that was pretty darn easy:

Drain Flush: Tried and true method: Remove as much water as you can. Toss 1 cup of baking soda down the drain, then pour a cup of household vinegar down the drain, plug the drain with the sink stopper then let sit for half an hour. After about 30 minutes, unplug the sink and pour a kettle full of hot water on top. See Naturally Unclog A Drain With Vinegar, Baking Soda And Water and Tip: Unclogging the Drain for more details. This is the method I’ve grown up with and it works even if there’s still water backed up in the sink (although it works faster without water). Just double the baking soda & vinegar amount, give it about an hour and if the water in the sink has fully drained, flush with fresh batches of boiling water 2 or 3 times to completely clear out the gunk.

My tub is now running smoothly, my sink is still pretty angry but I think a few more flushes (and possibly clearing the trap) will solve that pretty quickly. I'll keep you posted!

ETA: 10 minutes later and my sink drain is now clear :) Just needed a little more vinegar and hot water. Woot! for all natural cleansers!

2 comments:

  1. Oh forgot to say thank you. I used this over the weekend and it worked like a charm!

    ReplyDelete